Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dominic Fetherston

Profile of an Artist

The House of All Sorts (Emily in the Attic) 2011
acrylic


Katrina In the Village 2011
acrylic


Dave Brubeck
acrylic

I had an early introduction to the production and the sales of my art. When I was 8 or 9 years old, I spent time under the stairs to the basement of our house in my “art studio” drawing cartoons of characters I had imagined. Then I would go door-to-door to my neighbors in Saskatoon, trying to sell my “one-of-a-kind, affordable art.” As a child, it was exciting to be capable of earning anything, even if it was only a penny or two for one of my scribblings. In 1967 a penny was enough to buy a double piece of bubble gum or a few chewy candies, so it all seemed like a pretty great deal to me; I was having fun and getting paid to do it.

This month, I am turning 53, and I realize I am basically doing the same thing I did when I was 9, although, I’ve stopped going door to door. But I still make time to play with my art and to allow my ideas to churn and formulate, and because playing is such fun, I’m pretty much involved in that.

Over the years, I have had the opportunity to teach many individuals and groups and I’ve facilitated a wide range of arts and counselling classes. It is getting kind of hackneyed to say that I enjoy working with and learning from others, but I like living my life searching for more information, additional techniques and education, and the balance of taking in and putting out, makes what I do mostly fun and very fulfilling.

I am a BC born, Saskatchewan and BC educated painter and mixed media artist. I was diagnosed with glaucoma when I was a young man, and I’ve undergone multiple eye surgeries in Canada and in Mexico. Information about my journey to Mexico to find competent, safe and sane health care is on my website. I’m a married father of one and step-father of four who enjoys my time in my basement studio that I lovingly refer to as “Caution Studio” on southern Vancouver Island at Esquimalt, BC.

My website: cautionstudio.ca

3 comments:

  1. On the outside looking inJune 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM

    Happy Birthday Dominic!

    LOve your work! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to meet another artist from Saskatoon.. We share a similar background. I too made things as a child and sold them on the playground at school...until they kicked me and my little enterprise out. And, I'm still at it now. I've also taught classes in art with a self-reflective /healing theme. Perhaps we will get to meet here on the island in person one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot wait to see you and what you're up to on Quadra Island with your new DIG gallery. You're on top of the contemporary pulse.
    Well done Dominic!

    ReplyDelete