Friday, August 6, 2010

Vancouver Island Ravens

During a totem pole tour with a group of visitors in the streets of downtown Duncan, the "City of Totems", a curious thing happened.
The Raven is known as the trickster
I was talking to them about a totem pole that had a Thunderbird above a Killer Whale. This Killer Whale, though, was special. When it was carved, this Killer Whale's fins were made in the shape of a Raven's head.

The Raven is known to the carver of this pole as the "trickster" and the "transformer". In this case the carver had created a "Raven-finned Killer Whale". The kind of Killer Whale that might come alongside your boat and give it a good nudge or splash you, just for fun, to play a trick on you.

Just as I was explaining this to my tour group, a young First Nations woman, who I did not know and had not noticed walking by, quietly stepped up behind me and gave me a quick squeeze at the waist... she laughed and said out loud "Just like this!".

Now, this both startled and amused me and my tourist friends. And with a smile, she turned and kept on walking down the street.

What a mischievous thing to do!


And when I stop to think about it, she did have raven-coloured hair......

No comments:

Post a Comment